At the time of construction, the Salt Lake County Jail represented the largest single construction project in the county’s history. It includes the following:
- A total of 1,044 cells with 2,088 beds
- Four housing pods, which are each 118,000 SF
- A 45,000 SF food services building
- A 130,000 SF jail support facility
- A central plant and sheriff’s office that total 85,000 SF
In addition to being a construction manager for the project, Layton performed all of the concrete work for the housing pods. Layton also constructed a 42,000 SF Special Operations Center as part of the project. This facility is used for county operations storage and evidence storage and processing.